BY-LAWS OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR PEDIATRIC WOUND CARE (ISPeW)
Version December 2011
Updated June 2014
Article 1: Membership
1. Executive BOARD members (ExBM)
2. General BOARD members (GBM)
3. Active members (Trustees) (AMT)
4. Junior members (Trainees) (JM)
5. Honorary members (HM)
6. Members (M)
1.1 Membership categories:
1.1.A All applications for BOARD membership are made directly by the BOARD members (Categories 1 and 2) to the President and or to the Secretary General. Both shall consider the qualifications of all candidates, and shall recommend to the Executive Board (ExB) those suitable to be approved as new members. The ExB decides about the acceptance/rejection of applicants as ISPeW BOARD members and informs the General BOARD.
1.1.B The application for active membership (trustees) has to be endorsed by two BOARD members of the ISPeW.
1.1.C Application for junior membership has to be endorsed by one ISPeW BOARD member or Trustee and shall be accompanied by a letter from the chief of his/her department indicating that he/she is a pediatric surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist, basic scientist in wound care, nurse practitioner in wound care or other professional wound care figure in training. Junior members, after 6 months on probation, must inform the Secretary General about their own free will to become active members. The Secretary General decide and inform the BOARD and trustees.
1.1.D Any member – categories 1, 2, 3 - can propose a professional wound care figure to the BOARD for honorary membership*. The ExB will take the decision and inform the General BOARD and Trustees.
*An honorary member is an individual whose membership is conferred upon through an outstanding contribution to the WOUND CARE/PEDIATRIC Sciences or visible merits. The Honorary Members shall be entitled to attend all meetings and to participate in discussions and should have all the rights and privileges of the elected Members, except that the Honorary Members shall be non-voting participants. Generally, an Honorary Member should retain his or her honorary status until the Honorary Member resigns. Honorary members may serve as Chairperson or Lecturer Speakers during the ISPeW meetings (Interannual Meeting and International Conference).
1.1.E EXECUTIVE BOARD Members are these 8 to 9 figures: President (and/or Past-President for 1 year), President-Elect, Vice-President, Secretary General, Recorder, Treasurer, Emeritus status MD (or PhD), Emeritus status wound care NP (APRN). Remain in office: 4 years
GENERAL BOARD Members are these 10 figures: 3 members from EUROPE, 3 members from USA and Canada, 2 members from AUSTRALASIA, 1 member from SOUTHAMERICA, 1 member from AFRICA. Remain in office: 4 years
1.2 Membership fee
1.2.A All members, except honorary members shall be charged membership fees in an amount proposed by the ExB and approved by the GB. Any member who, after appropriate notification, does not pay membership fees within two years will loose membership.
1.2.B Members whose membership has been terminated may reapply for membership after payment of all dues – subject to the approval of the ExB.
1.3 Membership privileges
1.3.A All members shall receive a certificate showing their membership within the ISPeW as well as the type of their membership.
1.3.B The mission statements, the Statutes and the By-laws as well as a roster of membership are regularly published on the ISPeW website.
1.3.C All members are entitled to participate in the INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE and in the INTERANNUAL MEETING – at a reduced registration fee.
1.3.D All members are entitled to participate in the ISPeW accredited or organised courses, workshops – at a reduced registration fee.
1.3.E All members are entitled to apply for fellowship, grants, awards and prizes connected with the ISPeW CONFERENCE and postgraduate ISPeW activities.
1.4 End of membership
1. on death of a member;
2. on receipt of a written resignation of the member;
3. unpaid membership fee for two years
4. when the member ceases, for whatever reason, to be a registered paediatric surgeon elsewhere;
5. when a member fails to fulfil his statutory obligations to the ISPeW, acts against the:
By-laws or the ethical standards in medical, surgical, nursing paediatric activities, or prejudices the Association in anyway. This kind of termination of membership must be recommended by the ExB and approved by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members pertinent to categories number 1, 2 and 3, as above reported.
1.5 Communication with members
1.5.A Communication with members occurs primarily via the website and by e-mail. Members are responsible for providing a valid e-mail address. All the members are invited to the organized web-meetings.
Article 2: Administration of the Association
2.1 Executive Board (ExB) and General Board (GB)
2.1.A The ExB is the decision-making organ and is responsible for all administrative and management functions.
2.1.B The ExB together with GB proposes programmes and formulates new strategies to improve and strengthen the ISPeW.
2.1.C The ExB decides the candidates for honorary member and for the ISPeW Lectures, about the type of prize or the quantity of money for the ISPeW prizes (young investigator award, best oral presentations and best poster presentations). The GB do the selection of the final candidates for the awards and introduce them to the ExB. ExB decides who are the winners.
2.1.D The ExB and GB are entitled to install committees for pediatric wound care subspecialties such as premature complex lesions, NPWT, Research, bioengineering, devices, advanced/interactive dress, biofilm/bioburden, hystopathological studies, Growth Factors, News in surgery/microsurgery, biodermatology , nursing sciences, debridement, etc. These committees, possibly guided by one or two trustees shall focus their work on research, good practice and the progress of that subspecialty every 6 months.
2.1.E All members of the ExB and GB shall serve for the term specified in the Statutes and at the expiry of such term or terms new members shall be appointed following proposition of ExB and approval of a majority of votes of the Board (categories 1, 2 and 3).
2.1.F Members elected by a majority vote of the EB may fill vacancies that occur in any of the offices for the unexpired term.
2.1.G The ExB shall, from time to time, have the power to employ paid or unpaid agents or advisers to the Association. Such persons would have charge of the administration of the Association, and would work to further the aims of the Association as determined by the ExB. All staff will be responsible to the ISPeW president.
2.2.A The president shall serve as chair of the ExB and GB and shall serve on all Committees.
- The president convenes and presides over the meeting of the Board and is responsible for the agenda of the meeting.
- The president represents the ISPeW on all occasions in international organizations. The natural substitute is the Vice-President and, If necessary, the Secretary General.
- The president is responsible for all correspondence related to the Association and administers the archives. The natural substitute for this action is the Secretary General.
- The president manages the affairs of the Association, signs the contracts and at all times acts as its principal representative. The president coordinates all activities and collects reports from the committees of the Association.
2.2.B President elect
- The president elect gains for two years experience as a leading person of the ISPeW.
- The president elect supports the activities of the president and works in close collaboration with the president.
- The president elect is co-chairman of the International Conference and of the Interannual meeting and is member of all committees.
2.2.C Past president
- The past president may advise the president and supports his activities by his experience.
- The past president is co-chairman of the ExB and a member of all agencies.
- The past president works close with the emeritus in the scientific event organization, such as courses, workshops and in postgraduate education.
2.2.D Vice president
- The vice president supports the activities of the President.
- His role is in creating, communicating and implementing the ISPeW organization’s vision, mission and overall direction.
- The vice president’s role is in formulating and implementing the strategic plan that guides the Society, in accordance with the President.
- The vice president has got the role of evaluating the success of the organization, together with the treasurer, immediately after the International Conference and the Interannual meeting.
2.3 Secretary General (SG)
- The secretary general (SG) is responsible for the minutes of the meeting of the Board and shall provide the minutes to all members by website and e-mail. A supporti is due to the SG by the webmaster.
- The SG shall, not less than four months, prior to the date notify all members of the ISPeW of the venue and date of the Members and invite them to submit comments, suggestions and/or recommendations to the president or to the secretary, or nominations for elections if appropriate.
- The SG shall send out, not less than four weeks prior to the General Assembly (GA - union of all members) , the formal invitation to all members of the GA data and venue. The invitation shall include the agenda.
- The SG shall publish the ISPeW-Newsletter on the homepage in close collaboration with the president and the members of the ExB and GB, every 3 months.
- The SG distributes the appropriate certification of membership to new members and reports about the number of new membership to the GA.
- The SG is responsible for contracts of any person or organization cooperating with the ISPeW together with the president and recorder.
- The treasurer shall be the custodian of the assets of the Association and shall adhere to the principles of appropriate bookkeeping and accounting.
- The treasurer is responsible for the collection of the subscriptions of the Association.
- The treasurer shall work with the president and the ExB-members in overseeing all general accounting and financial record keeping functions of the Association.
- The treasurer shall ensure that all funds of the Association are audited each year by a firm of international auditors and two internal auditors (EUPSA active members) and shall present the report of this audit to the ExB and to the GB.
- The treasurer shall make proposals to the ExB for funds accumulated by the ISPeW.
- The treasurer is responsible for contracts of any person or organization cooperating with the EUPSA together with president and secretary.
- The treasurer is responsible together with the congress president for the budget and financial success of International Conference, Interannual meeting, Workshop and Courses.
- The recorder is responsible for keeping previous meeting, web-meeting, interannual meeting, international conference, workshops notes and agendas in one place where they could be referenced later.
- The role of the recorder is to definitely plan and announce in advance a meeting to the other member of the Board (1 and 2).
- The recorder shares responsability with the president or other member of the Board for conducting an effective meeting and ensuring participants’ time is well spent.
- The recorder is responsible for interactions and partnerships between ISPeW and other scientific association.
- The recorder is responsible for the scientific education and distance learning of trainees and trustees coming from developing countries.
2.6 Emeritus MD and NP (APRN)
- The emeritus is a mark of distinguished service. He/she works close to the president and president elect and assists them in propose new articles or changes of the statute and/or by-law, because of their continuous improvement.
- The emeritus propose the ISPeW medal at the International Conference and during the Interannual meeting.
- The emeritus propose titles, topics, subjects for ISPeW workshops and courses. Emeritus, Past president and recorder are responsible for the continuous education in pediatric wound care for trainees, possible applicants and students.
- Emeritus is responsible for new Agencies, depending on new trends in the field of pediatric wound care, basic sciences, research.
- The webmaster shall be responsible for the development and the updating of the ISPeW website.
- The webmaster is not an elected member. He is nominated by the President, close with the past President and President elect.
- The webmaster is paid by the ISPeW and must be reconfirmed year out.
2.7 Congress Chairman
- The congress chairman is elected by the ExB as a responsible for the local organization of the International Conference and for the Interannual meeting and shall build up a local organizing team.
- The congress chairman has to present a business plan and congress budget to the ExB at least 18 months before the conference.
- The congress chairman has to adhere to the principles of appropriate bookkeeping and accounting in close collaboration with the treasurer.
- The ISPeW should achieve a net profit of 60% of the whole profit amount. 25% remain with the local organizing committee and 15% is devoted to the members coming from developing world.
- The term of the congress chairman begins one year before the International Conference/Interannual meeting and ends after having presented the congress balance to the ExB.
Article 3: ISPeW Agencies
3.1 Agencies are institutions of the ISPeW and should collaborate with each other with special purposes to fulfil the aims of the Association.
3.2 Agencies shall assist the ExB.
3.3 The term for appointed members is three years, one redesignation is possible.
3.4 If a member of any Agency fails to attend the meetings without any serious reason or does not reply within a certain sensible time to the request of the chairman of the Agency, he/she can be asked to resign and the chairman proposes a new member. 3.5 The president, the president elect and the past president are members of all agencies and are therefore not specially mentioned in the following paragraphs.
3.2 TRAINING Agency (TA)
- It consists of 6 members including two trustees and two trainees. The members elect a Chair.
- The aim of the TA is to support and promote the organization of the ISPeW Courses and Workshops, scholarships, exchange of colleagues between institutions and countries.
- The TA favors enrollment of trustees and trainees and make a a first selection between possible applicants.
- Every question, request or initiative concerning Training received by the ExB will be transferred to the chairman of the TA and will be dealt with within a reasonable period of time.
- The TA decides whether courses or scientific meetings may receive the ISPeW accreditation and patronage.
- The term for appointed members is three years, one redesignation is possible
- The TA prepares evaluation procedures for congresses, courses, “meet the expert at lunch” etc.
- The TA presents the results of the evaluations to the local organizers and to the ExB.
3.3. SCIENTIFIC Agency (SA)
- It consists of 6 members. The members elect a Chair.
- The aim of the scientific agency is to maintain the Association’s scientific production at the highest level.
- Every question, request or initiative concerning the scientific matters received at the ExB will be transferred to the chairman of the SA and will be answered within reasonable time.
- The scientific agency is responsible for scoring and acceptance or rejection of the anonymous submitted abstracts.
- The scientific agency proposes the special topics of the Interannual meeting and of the International Conference, the invited speakers, and other scientific features of the congress. These decisions must be endorsed by the ExB, the GB and by the Congress Chairman.
- The scientific agency decides about the recipients of the Interannual Meeting and the International Conference awards:
- two young investigator awards (for the best research works; the recipients must not be older than 40 years)
- two best poster presentation awards (for the best posters)
- The scientific agency suggests, promotes, and supports and multicentre ISPeW studies on all fields of clinical work and basic research. The members elaborate the needed financial support for ISPeW-studies and submit the financial plan to the treasurer, who presents these to the ExB. The decision is taken by the ExB.
The term for appointed members is three years, one redesignation is possible.
Article 5: Honorary members and ISPeW Medal for a member Expert in Wound Care
- To honour distinguished expert consultant in pediatric wound care who have contributed significantly to the progress and international development of pediatric wound care in the world. The ISPeW emeritus shall award those outstanding contributions on the occasion of the Interannual meeting and during the International Conference.
Article 6: Language
6.1 The official language of the Association is English
6.2 Other languages could be considered If ISPeW courses are organized in not english speaking countries but under the aegis of ISPeW
Article 7: International Conference – Interannual meeting
- The International Conference will be organized three yearly at a location decided by the Board.
- The scientific agency is responsible for the scientific program of the congress. The congress chairman is responsible for the management of the congress and the specified structure according to the rules set into the congress agenda.
- A contract containing a business plan and financial modalities of the congress is worked out and agreed at least 18 months before the congress between the congress chairman and the treasurer. The financial responsibility will remain with the congress chairman and the ExB, who have to adhere to the principles of appropriate bookkeeping and accounting in close collaboration with the treasurer. The definitive goal shall be to achieve a positive balance in order to improve the financial position of the ispew Association.